Note: Remember, kids, it is usually legit for contests to charge an entry or reading fee. That's how they get the money for all those prizes. And this particular agency is called H.O.W., or Helping Orphans Worldwide, and is doing their story contest to raise funds and awareness.
Short Story Contest Judged by Susan Minot
H.O.W. Journal is hosting its first short story contest to be judged by acclaimed author Susan Minot.
- The contest is open to all writers and all themes
- The word limit is 12,000.
- We do consider unpublished novel excerpts if they feel like complete stories.
- It's fine to submit more than one story.
- Manuscripts should be submitted with a cover note listing the author's name, address, phone number, and email; names should not appear on the stories themselves.
- All submissions should be clearly typed manuscripts, double-spaced on 8 1/2 x 11 inch white paper, one side only.
- Submissions will not be returned.
- No simultaneous or previously published work.
- 1st Place - $1000 and publication in H.O.W. Journal
- 2nd Place - $300 and publication in H.O.W. Journal
- 3rd Place - $100 and publication in H.O.W. Journal
Reading Fee per story
Send your submissions and reading fee (a check payable to H.O.W. Journal) to:
Short Story Contest
12 Desbrosses Street
New York, NY, 10013
Submissions must be received in the H.O.W. offices by May 15th, 2010.